Re: [LUG] Xandros 3.0 Open Circulation Distro

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:09:19 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

Thanks guys :))  Got past that stage:

Now I have:

gcc-version-check failed:

  ./nvnet/conftest.sh: line 1: cc: command not found
  Could not compile gcc-version-check.c

  If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check,
  select "No" to continue installation.  Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort
  installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler
  used to compile your kernel, and restart installation.  Abort now?

I wouldn't be so peeved by this one if any of the documentation told me
what version of GCC it was looking for, but it doesn't.

Any advice please? :)

Kind regards,

Julian

The telling line in that output is:
  ./nvnet/conftest.sh: line 1: cc: command not found

Certainly in my Debian system the executable "cc" follows a series of symlinks
before finally arriving at a genuine executable:

gsewell@xxxxxx:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9$ whereis cc
cc: /usr/bin/cc /usr/share/man/man1/cc.1.gz

gsewell@xxxxxx:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9$ ll /usr/bin/cc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 20 2004-10-20 17:46 /usr/bin/cc -> /etc/alternatives/cc

gsewell@xxxxxx:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9$ ll /etc/alternatives/cc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 12 2005-04-17 01:00 /etc/alternatives/cc -> /usr/bin/gcc

gsewell@xxxxxx:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9$ ll /usr/bin/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 7 2005-04-17 00:27 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-3.3

gsewell@xxxxxx:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9$ ll /usr/bin/gcc-3.3
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 84K 2005-03-13 01:47 /usr/bin/gcc-3.3

Basically, the file conftest.sh is trying to compile the file gcc-version-check.c.
Since it can't find the executable "cc", it fails on that part.  It hasn't even got
around to checking the version yet!  However, if you are at all concerned, it
doesn't matter what version nVidia recommend, what matters is that the version
you're using *now* is the same (or close to) the version that was used to compile
your kernel.  Usually they are.  To test, though:

$ cat /proc/version
$ gcc --version

Make sure they're the same.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.