[LUG] Xandros 3.0 Open Circulation Distro

Hi All,

As MDK 10.1 was giving more and more hassle I decided to try the above, as a friend gave it to me on CD.

I *like* the installer, nice and friendly, even says if you have /home on the same partition that it will rename it to /oldhome.

I *don't* like the fact that I can't get it to work. At all.

Fairly basic problem, at least describing it is simple. I install Xandros and then reboot as normal. First of all it doesn't give you any useful information on screen during boot, other than very simplistic readouts of "loading kernel", "checking hardware" etc. Only if you use the Expert option do you get the verbose output which I've come to like as I have learned what is good and what isn't in the display.

In this instance what is bad is that it will *not* initialise my network on boot. eth0 fails every single time. It's an onboard network card on an Nforce2 MoBo. Could that be why Xandros is having a mare?

Also when I tap in my password for KDE I get a string of errors telling me various KDE config files which (presumably) need to be read/write are read only. Then it seems to think that DCOP is not running. I will freely admit to ignorance on this point. I'm well aware that DCOP is vital (at least this has pointed to that being so anyway) but I have no idea what it does.

Any suggestions gratefully received, other than another distro :) Having said that I think I have an ISO of the network install for Debian somewhere (God knows which release). Assuming *that* will let my network behave it might be worth a look.

Kind regards,

Julian