Re: [LUG] Xandros 3.0 Open Circulation Distro

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:32:04 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

In this instance what is bad is that it will *not* initialise my network
on boot.  eth0 fails every single time.  It's an onboard network card on
an Nforce2 MoBo.  Could that be why Xandros is having a mare?

I would be surprised if they put nVidia's nForce drivers in their OCD... seems most
distro makers are keen to avoid other people's closed software.  It's not hard to
install, though, once you actually have it downloaded.

Also when I tap in my password for KDE I get a string of errors telling
me various KDE config files which (presumably) need to be read/write are
read only.  Then it seems to think that DCOP is not running.  I will
freely admit to ignorance on this point.  I'm well aware that DCOP is
vital (at least this has pointed to that being so anyway) but I have no
idea what it does.

Yeah, DCOP can be a bit of a pain.  I don't think it's actually a *vital* bit of
KDE, it's just that applications won't be able to talk to eachother without it.  You
may find that some KDE applications load really slowly without DCOP... just like
they do if you run them from within GNOME.

Any suggestions gratefully received, other than another distro :)
Having said that I think I have an ISO of the network install for Debian
somewhere (God knows which release).  Assuming *that* will let my
network behave it might be worth a look.

Avoiding the fact that we now know that your ISO is for the Alpha architecture, I
would very much doubt that your nForce ethernet would work with Debian without
having the closed drivers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.