Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 03/04/17 17:44, mr meowski wrote:> On 03/04/17 16:06, Neil via list wrote:
If you have seen my most recent email, it seems that machines with both
USB ports and a PS2 one will not find the BIOS via a USB keyboard.

Not only is that *definitely* not the case for any system I've ever
seen, it also goes against reason (why would a 2016-era modern high-spec
motherboard not support early init USB? Nonsense...) and the user manual
for your SKU.

Of course I've now obviously opened the door for you to try this
tomorrow and immediately report back with a "haha it worked first time
you idiot" in which case I'll be pleased for you but also very, very
surprised! I'd also return the board as not fit for purpose 10 seconds
later though if that behaviour didn't resolve itself after a full BIOS
update.

Tuesday. Thanks for the long email. I am happy to play around with soft ware but not hardware. Taking the panel off the side of a computer tower is **scary**. I have done it just three times, twice to change the CMOS battery and once to replace an old DVD player. And each time I was in a panic.

I have borrowed a PS2 keyboard, but makes no difference. Maybe there is a setting on my monitor, a Dell, which makes it too slow to read input when logging on. When I was trying the PS2 keyboard, I had a message on the monitor that there was no signal from the computer. If it is fast boot which is the problem I can't get to the BIOS to change it.

For the moment I am going to accept that I am stuck with the one distro on this desk top computer, and I can't change it. On my laptop I have no problem. The key F7 pulls up the choice of log on without any worries.

Thanks for all the time a trouble you have taken,

Neil