Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 02/04/17 19:14, mr meowski via list wrote:
On 02/04/17 18:56, Gordon Henderson via list wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017, Neil via list wrote:

Have had a go at using the cheap keyboard and at using different USB
ports, but to no avail. I will wait till tomorrow when I hope to talk
to the people who made it up for me. Perhaps they can get me sorted out.

Can I just check one thing?

When are you pushing the F2/F11/Del keys?

Your first post in this thread seemed to suggest you might be waiting
until the login screen - if you're pushing them then, then this is not
the right time.

So if you are waiting until the login screen, then try this: Turn it
off, count to 5 then turn it back on again, then immediately start
battering the F2 then Del keys alternatively. Don't wait for anything,
just start pushing them alternatively. I've seen some BIOSes that only
give you a second or less to push them, so be pro-active and get there
first.

You're probably already doing this - just trying to be clear and make
sure you're doing the right thing.

This is a very good point - if the POST has been manually set or
defaults to the absolute minimum timeout of zero seconds you won't have
a chance to react. You pretty much would need to be holding down the
correct keys before you even turn on the PC because it will take longer
for the LCD screen to warm up and turn on to display the prompts than it
will for the UEFI/BIOS to race through initialization and begin the boot
process.

You can probably tell we're all a little bit confused as to why this
didn't just take you a couple of tries! Especially as it did apparently
work for you at least once...

Cheers

Just another thought about this. Often, when I switch on the computer to log on I see a message text box listing the keys to use for the BIOS screens (del or F2), log on choices (F11) and although I can't remember it for sure a key to do with flashing the BIOS (F6 I think).

But I don't always see that message, sometimes it just goes straight to the logging on screen. Is that of any importance?

Neil