Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 03/04/17 15:53, mr meowski wrote:
On 03/04/17 15:03, Neil via list wrote:

I have had a chat with the chap who set it all up. He also thinks that
the problem is that, on boot, it is not seeing the keyboard in time. He
has suggested that I try a PS2 keyboard, either by borrowing one or via
an adaptor. This should be seen more quickly than a USB one.

He also thinks that fast boot is on, and initialisation may be set to
partial. So, once I can get to the BIOS, disable fast boot and make
initialisation full. But it is getting to the BIOS first.

So, does anyone have a PS2 keyboard I can borrow? Otherwise I could get
an adaptor. And there is definitely a PS2 port at the back of the tower.

Ok, interesting... Something still feels a little "off" though here and
whilst I've no reason to doubt the guy who set it up I'd bet that I've
fiddled with just as many BIOS/UEFI/etcs as he has. And I've literally
never seen a system that flat out refused to respond to all pre-boot
hotkeys to this extent, even when you're trying different keyboards
across multiple USB ports too! Normally after double checking the
manual, having a quick google and trying some hearty keyboard mashing
you eventually get in and make a mental note to yourself to never forget
what arcane invocation eventually worked (which needless to say I
usually manage to forget by the time I next need it).

Hopefully you have now seen my other emails about this. Tomorrow I plan to go to the local computer shop and borrow a PS2 keyboard, as offered, and also pick up an adaptor.

If you have seen my most recent email, it seems that machines with both USB ports and a PS2 one will not find the BIOS via a USB keyboard. So that will be my next test.

Thanks for all your time and help,

Neil