Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 02/04/17 22:41, Neil via list wrote:

> Just another thought about this. Often, when I switch on the computer to
> log on I see a message text box listing the keys to use for the BIOS
> screens (del or F2), log on choices (F11) and although I can't remember
> it for sure a key to do with flashing the BIOS (F6 I think).
>
> But I don't always see that message, sometimes it just goes straight to
> the logging on screen. Is that of any importance?

Nah, that's just a function of however long it takes your monitor to
catch up with the signal being driven to it: I'd imagine you're more
likely to see that message during a re- or warm- boot as the monitor is
already on and synced. From a cold boot it probably takes a second or
two for the monitor to power up and synchronize with the display signal,
by which time your PC has already raced through the UEFI and has started
(or even finished) booting to Linux.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you hold down or keep spamming the
LEFT shift key when you power up? If all is normal, the system should
pass through the UEFI as normal but then pause at the Grub bootloader
screen, which is normally hidden. This won't actually help at all with
the overall issue of why you can't get into the UEFI setup but if that
doesn't work either, it would raise some questions in itself.

I can't wait to hear what your PC suppliers have to say for themselves
tomorrow...

Cheers