Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 01/04/17 18:06, Neil via list wrote:
On 01/04/17 17:56, Neil via list wrote:
On 01/04/17 17:38, mr meowski wrote:
On 01/04/17 17:16, Neil via list wrote:

not very helpful .. ls: cannot access '/sys/firmware/efi': No such file
or directory

And the next one, very terse

Z170 Extreme4

Ah ha, no, that's much better. You have one of these:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z170%20extreme4/

You're also definitely booting in BIOS mode after all, not UEFI
(otherwise you'd have the /sys/firmware/efi directory present on your
system). The 'hit' earlier from dmesg was just your machine probing the
ACPI tables for UEFI entry points, and we can now ignore that.

So far so good!

First make sure your keyboard is getting picked up at all during system
initialization: reboot, wait for the black screens before the OS
properly starts up and bang ctrl+alt+del a few times. Hopefully the
system will immediately reboot again. This tells us that your keyboard
is at least working during the BIOS stage.

I did try this. The first time it seemed to ignore the keyboard and went
on to boot normally. The second time I got a screen with a few choices
on such as boot into ubuntu and memory test.
So, perhaps it is not seeing the keyboard soon enough.

Next, it's time to work through the usual BIOS hotkeys one after the
other (man, if I had $money for every time I've done this...) to see
which ones work.

I mentioned F2 and F11 because, often when booting a message appears on
the screen telling me just that.

Now I will test the F2 key.

Neil

OK. The first time nothing happened, the screen remained black. The second time it just went through to the normal log in screen. So it seems that my keyboard is being ignored to start with. (And it is not a cheap one either.) By the time it is seen it is too late and log on has started. I can't see a way round that, I can't change anything in the BIOS if I can't access it.

Meanwhile I have sent a query to the people who made it up for me although they will not be available until Monday. They obviously were able to install Xubuntu without a problem.

Neil
I'm guessing its a USB keyboard? You may need a 'normal' keyboard as with some systems a USB keyboard is ignored by the bios. Or you could use and USB to normal keyboard connector adaptor
Tom te tom te tom