Re: [LUG] Soldering @ Paignton ... Re: Retro computers at the Paignton Tech Jam ...

On 17/02/2017 11:03, Gordon Henderson via list wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Paul Sutton via list wrote:

> The biggest issue I've seen is complete and utter morons picking up the
> soldering iron the wrong way (Yes, I've seen it). Darwin will eventually
> see to these people, given time. A soldering iron is in your hand or in
> the holder, it's as simple as that.
>
> Here's half an hour of me wittering on about soldering :-)
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zrgEDsxSQ
>
> Gordon

Thanks for fine soldering video , I learned a lot
in 1950s I was soldering tubes (4 inch to 8 inch diameter) by use of my
great-grandfather's (Circa 1870s) soldering iron  Bit set at 1/2" square
tapering to a point heated by a coke brazier (red hot was colour
wanted). One Darwin lifted iron from fire by handle and transferred the
hot bit (no pun intended) into the other hand.
A Long lived soldering iron still in use.

At least less human damage than when in 2009, when using explosive
welding to join 6 inch copper wires in Ethiopia a Darwin stood on copper
when explosive fired (however no 'HR reports' etc there, quite casual
HSE requirements as long as you did not disturb old buried mosques,
which are uncovered when building refineries).
--
regards
Eion MacDonald