Re: [LUG] TV Licensing [Ad blockers]

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016, Julian Hall wrote:

On 16/09/16 20:04, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 19:20:14 +0100
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Julian,

So how have people been /successfully/ prosecuted?
Various ways.

1) By having the *capability*, even if it's not used - having a TV aerial
and a TV, even if the two aren't connected together.

That's exactly what I was saying.

Which is still incorrect. You have to use it to break the law.

From what I understand... People get caught mostly through their own naivety and through the bullying tactics of the "enforcement officers" who, AIUI, will tell lies to get into your house to check your TV. They will also tell lies to get you to sign a document which they will tell you won't amount to much, however it's an admission of guilt, then you'll be fined.

I have a couple of friends without TV licenses (because they genuinely have no interest in TV) - the letters and visits they get are shocking. The tactics used amount to harassment (a common defence used to get them to stop)

Gordon