Re: [LUG] TV Licensing [Ad blockers]

I recently bought a TV licence for the first time in my life as I never watched (and still dont) live TV, but I do love iplayer. I have used the Nintendo Wii as my player of choice.

In predigital days I would invite the people in when they came to the door to look at my TV hooked up to a video player not tuned to anything else and with no ariel. The TV licence people would write to me every other year and ask me to confirm I still didnt need one which was straight forward. Now the law has changed and I do need a licence I have bought on.

I think the thing with the visits was basically to just go with it and have preplaned to be disalarmingly honest. They clearly do come across as intimidating and the only solution was therefore to be prepared, honest and pretend not to be intimidated. You dont have to let them in, but I decided to as I knew I would be OK... the only wrinkle being if a kid tuned in the telly, but after digital switch over I didnt have a digibox until now.

With the digital law change surely the only group who know you are using iPlayer are the ISPs.

Trevor

On 17 September 2016 at 07:04 Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016, Julian Hall wrote:

On 16/09/16 20:04, Brad Rogers wrote:

>> On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 19:20:14 +0100>> Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Julian,
>>
>>> So how have people been /successfully/ prosecuted?
>> Various ways.
>>
>> 1) By having the *capability*, even if it's not used - having a TV aerial
>> and a TV, even if the two aren't connected together.

That's exactly what I was saying.

Which is still incorrect. You have to use it to break the law.

From what I understand... People get caught mostly through their own
naivety and through the bullying tactics of the "enforcement officers"
who, AIUI, will tell lies to get into your house to check your TV. They
will also tell lies to get you to sign a document which they will tell you
won't amount to much, however it's an admission of guilt, then you'll be
fined.

I have a couple of friends without TV licenses (because they genuinely
have no interest in TV) - the letters and visits they get are shocking.
The tactics used amount to harassment (a common defence used to get them
to stop)

Gordon