Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

Why would ITV want to check we have a valid TV license,  the TV
license pays for BBC services,  I thought the advertising / commercial
aspect of ITV paid for those services.

Ad blockers are great,  esp on sites such as the herald express site
(Torquay local newspaper) which loads in all sorts of crap before you
can start reading the site.  That site gets the full works,  it is
still pretty poor as a site even then.

I have a bigger hatred of auto playing videos and or sound really
annoying when you are trying to listen to music and you get a
secondary sound source getting in the way,  of course added to this is
the assumption you are interested in what ever that video is trying to
promote.

I agree there are some sites that need funding,  many of the free
software projects are like that, but there are ways to do that.
Diaspora has the option for user donations,  Free software foundation
europe will send you flyers / posters / stickers for a donation (or
you can just make a donation).  You also get a graphic to put on your
website to say you have supported them.

There are positives and negatives to advertising,  but yes these days
faster internet means that these adverts are, or seem to be getting
more and more intrusive.   In a similar way some of the commercial tv
advert slots seem to either be longer or more frequent.

Paul

On 16/09/16 10:56, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 09:12:22 +0100 barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> Hello barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
>
>> If I remember right, ITV also want a postal address. And a valid
>> email address. Why?
>
> Postal address: To check whether you have a TV license. Email
> address:  To confirm your details/send an authorisation code?

- --
http://www.zleap.net
diaspora : zleap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sign up at : https://joindiaspora.com/i/29e3c17d2ef2
Torbay Tech Jam http://torbaytechjam.org.uk
Software freedom day 17th September 2016