Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

On 15/09/2016 08:45, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I hate adverts. Let me be more precise, I don't mind them in newspapers
> and magazines, I can easily turn the page. I do hate adverts in
> commercial TV, which is off topic, and most of all I hate the pop up
> sort that can appear while browsing the internet.
>
> So I use ad blocking programs, ad block plus in Firefox, and uBlock
> origin in Palemoon. Fine. However I have noticed recently that some
> websites are asking me to please stop blocking their ads because that is
> how they make their  money. That is not a problem, I can comply or I can
> ignore it. Up to me.
>
> Even more recently I have noticed a worrying new trend. Some sites seem
> to be  using a new way to try to get you to turn the blocker off. I was
> surprised the first time to realise that only half of their first page
> was readable. The lower half of the page was greyed out and the text was
> encrypted. Then I saw that a message window had appeared. It said that I
> appeared to be using an ad blocker and if I wanted to be able to read
> the entire web site I had two choices. Turn the blocker off or white
> list their site. Otherwise, tough luck. Go away. They even offered to
> help me out if I was not sure how to do this.
>
> To me this is a worrying trend. If this proves successful, will other
> sites start doing the same? The advertisers hate our blocking programs,
> of course, and they have not been successful in getting them banned. So
> they seem to have come up with this new idea.
>
> Had anyone else come across this? Any comments would be welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Neil

This 'grey out' ,'turn off ad-blocker 'is extremely common.
Many sites use this technique, including newspapers and some more
scientific and legal websites.
I have no problem with it. If they make their money via adverts, I can
put up with that, IF  it is a responsible  quantity and is purely
specific adverts.

For example any attempt to use Channel 4's  equivalent of iPlayer on
BBC, has to be done on Windows (does not work on Linux - I have had
correspondence with them on it) and has about 12 to 18 adverts 7
trackers and FaceBook tracker).
I rarely use because of this  but one program was wanted, ( it lead to
above email intercourse on Linux with them). They also want registration
so as to tie to FaceBook and adverts by tracker.

They use sometimes the grey half, sometimes just blank out.
I do not object to adverts, that is how they are funded, but I want
sensible number and no tracking.
Likewise many USA newspapers and some local ones in UK.

"Religious zeal" objection to adverts is an unknowing idle disregard of
how folk make their living. Would YOU WORK FOR NO PAY?

I charge for my services to those who want them; newspapers  and
websites are like 'taxis' they ply for hire. If you do not pay  they do
not serve.

Disclaimer: I run three browsers, one tied down very tightly, ad
blockers, No Script etc , another loosely tied down , some sites
white-listed  in add blockers. another used via VPN or Torr due
political or 'breaching Great Wall of China".

Treat sites like newspapers fairly, allow some adds or do not buy, they
ply for your hire, they are not free-information gatherers for you at
your behest.
Or do an annual subscription and pay for some sites you really want.

Remember Gnu/Linux is about 'choice'.
For some things you do exchange items of value  as money or otherwise
(time, volunteering etc).
Think food, books (as in dead trees or otherwise) beer, basic
necessities of life, companionship.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald