Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

On 15/09/16 10:37, Eion MacDonald wrote:

This 'grey out' ,'turn off ad-blocker 'is extremely common.
Many sites use this technique, including newspapers and some more
scientific and legal websites.

I did not realise that. It is the first time I have come across it.

I have no problem with it. If they make their money via adverts, I can
put up with that, IF  it is a responsible  quantity and is purely
specific adverts.

And that 'if' is the problem. How many such sites will take their side of the bargain responsibly?

For example any attempt to use Channel 4's  equivalent of iPlayer on
BBC, has to be done on Windows (does not work on Linux - I have had
correspondence with them on it) and has about 12 to 18 adverts 7
trackers and FaceBook tracker).
I rarely use because of this  but one program was wanted, ( it lead to
above email intercourse on Linux with them). They also want registration
so as to tie to FaceBook and adverts by tracker.

I did once look at ITV's equivalent of iplayer. The wanted so much personal information that I refused to go ahead with it. They even wanted my DoB. Why for goodness sake, when I just wanted to be able to catch up with a missed program?

They use sometimes the grey half, sometimes just blank out.
I do not object to adverts, that is how they are funded, but I want
sensible number and no tracking.
Likewise many USA newspapers and some local ones in UK.

"Religious zeal" objection to adverts is an unknowing idle disregard of
how folk make their living. Would YOU WORK FOR NO PAY?

It isn't zeal. I just have no interest in someone trying to sell me something when I am in the middle of watching a program. They are wasting my time and their own. And it interrupts the progress of the program.

And, as the man said, 'Volunteer?  I wouldn't do it if they paid me.'

Any such sites will be totally ignored by me.

Neil