Re: [LUG] TV Licensing [Ad blockers]

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 07:04:55AM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> I have a couple of friends without TV licenses (because they
> genuinely have no interest in TV) - the letters and visits they get
> are shocking. The tactics used amount to harassment (a common
> defence used to get them to stop)

For what it's worth: we never owned a TV while we lived in the UK. At
both addresses we did receive letters from TV Licensing, whom I then
contacted and they said it was all fine and we never heard anything from
them afterwards.

It always stroke me as odd that I wasn't allowed to watch BBC live
streams of football, but was allowed to watch the same match on a
foreign site through a VPN, and also was allowed to watch it on that
same laptop had I been at work.

Even more odd was the fact that you got a discount if you only had a
black-and-white TV.

Much as I was happy to save myself the 100 quid or so a year, it seemed
like a pretty outdated system, from a time when TVs were much less
common (and probably something mainly used by the relatively well off)
and the BBC didn't do much else. I always did use (and still do, now
that I left the country) the BBC website and many of its podcasts.

Martijn.