Re: [LUG] Firefox tabs

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 17:35:47 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> God, I wish I was that disciplined - I typically have 4 to 10 tab
> groups open, each with 10-20 individual tabs inside. Over the course
> of a day's work I'll open many, many, *many* more, often in the
> 50-100 range and half of which I'll want to save for session-restore
> the next day. I have to consciously discipline myself on tab control
> otherwise I'd be one of those people with literally 800 tabs open at
> any one time.
>
> Now that I have changed the default I can
> > do that very easily. When the default was on  every time I tried to
> > clear the tab contents I found myself back at the desk top.
>
> To be fair, I would have thought that was pretty obviously going to
> happen - in any tabbed application when you shut down the final tab,
> what did you think it would do?

But that is what I can't do any more. If I click the x on the last tab
and it is empty nothing happens. If it has contents then those contents
are removed but the now empty tab still stays there.

 You've basically told it to quit by  nuking it's final instance.

No, not for me. Either clear the contents, if any, or do nothing.

 What would the point be in Firefox being
> open with no tabs?

It would not be open with no tabs. It would be open with just one empty
tab.

 It would even need a tab to be open by default to
> even show it's interface (that annoying homepage thing with a 3x3 grid
> of default pages that I've never got around to configuring). You might
> as well try opening Excel with no worksheets, or start terminal with
> no open terminals.
>
> You so crazy :]

Well thanks. As ever in Linux there is plenty of choice. As far as tabs
are concerned FF now works just right for me. I can have many open or
just one and even if that one is empty it still sits there for me. When
I have finished I can use one of the various methods provided to close
down. I can use the file menu or Ctrl-Q or the x in the top  right hand
corner. For me tabs should not have anything to do with closing down
FF. And now I have made that change they don't.

Each to his own,

Neil