Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 11.10... ? Search and Replace

Life, love, peace and freedom

Pete (Le M)

On 26/10/11 20:01, Simon Waters wrote:
On 26/10/11 16:18, Peter M Le Mare wrote:
1) Sorry you to annoy you. I am have forgotten how you make the e-mail
print at the bottom so I have selected, dragged and dropped. However
most people complain if I do it this way: I will try to bottom post for
this list.
The intent is not to bottom post, which is probably worse than top
posting, but to interleave the responses with the relevant part of the
original text so it reads question, then answer, point then counter
point, and trim unneeded text, signatures, and the like.

I think you have to beat up Thunderbird/Icedove these days to do text
only, and such like, but mine seems to be configured, and I'll answer
questions on same off list.
I will get in touch off list but not sure what you are saying here.
2) Thanks for the link. I have studied it and in does give me the
paragraph symbol and this will be very useful. But I can't find the line
break which is in webpage texts and e-mails which if you click on the
'non-printing characters' button shows up as a long base backwards L and
an arrow pointing backwards which is the same as the symbol on the
'enter' key on most keyboards.
They are newline characters, as a regular expression use "\n" with " "
to get rid of them the same way you do "$" with " " to get rid of of the
end of paragraph markers.
(For info to others)The \n does not find the end of (short) line breaks found in e-mails and many webpage text . Does anyone know how put in this character that looks like the symbol on the enter key that shows when you click on non printing characters but not the paragraph sign. Does anyone know what this expression is in Linux? I have tried several suggested in help pages online

If the two search and replaces are getting a tad tiresome record a macro
of you doing it once and add it as a menu option.

i.e.

Ensure "Record Macro" is available in the "Tools">"Macro" section.

This might mean enabling "unstable features"
(Tools>Options>LibreOffice>General).

Highlight some text.
Start Recording a macro.
Do the two search and replaces on your selected text.
Close search and replace dialog
Stop Recording macro and assign a name like "formatasparagraph"
Assign a new menu item in the edit menu to the macro you recorded.
Rename the new menu item something easy to remember like "Format As
Paragraph".
Test it.

You have extended LibreOffice.

You can figure out how to manage macros, I never really did, but then I
prefer to write text documents, life is too short for wordprocessors.
I again don't understand this at all. Also I don't know what macros actually are. w Will try to talk to you off list.

Oh and "Shift" + "Enter" creates them in LibreOffice if you ever have
the need for more new lines.

  Simon