Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 11.10... ?

On 14/10/11 21:07, Dave Morgan wrote:
On 13/10/2011, Martin Gautier<martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 13/10/11 20:33, Grant Sewell wrote:
To be fair, Ubuntu does seem to aim their LTS releases as the "just
right" ones.  I would be very surprised if the Unity released as part
of 12.04 was badly buggy.  They've had a fair whack of time to iron out
the major kinks.

Grant.
I tend to agree.

I can't fault their LTS server editions.

I'm more concerned about Unity's missing features and configuration
ability. I trust the existing tools to be good quality - I just think
it's not ready for more than casual use yet... I'll be happy to stand
corrected - I'll see over the weekend...

Martin

I just upgraded my spare laptop to 11.10

HATE IT
HATE IT
HATE IT

Fortunatyl my other two ubuntu boxes are not capable of being upgraded
(one only has 650 Mb free space, the other is locked to 8.04LTS by the
video card and motherboard)

Is that Ubuntu 8.04 LTS desktop? AFAIK that isn't supported anymore on the desktop. Is Debian an option maybe?

I might end up wiping and installing something else on it.

best regards
DAve

Hopefully Linux Mint will still be sticking with Gnome at least for the next release (although when I did check I wasn't able to find anything conclusive to say if they would be or not). There is always Xubuntu and Mint LXDE editions which aren't bad (I quite like the Mint LXDE edition now I've played with it a bit on some lower spec machines).

Or I guess maybe look at other distros, Debian, Fedora, SuSE etc?

Rob