Re: [LUG] Package lists for restore/upgrade

On 12/10/11 08:44, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 11/10/11 15:52, Gordon Henderson wrote:

I shudder to think of some of the packages that get pulled in due to
some silly dependancy...

Which will of course be installed again unless the dependency was
actually wrong and has been removed.

True - but I have sometimes installed something then un-installed it, leaving behind the dependancies - which apt-get autoremove ought to fix, but I'm not convinced it's always right...

Gordon

There are some rather annoying package configuration errors.
QT4 downloads 600meg+ of documentation which is great you have serious insomnia and want to learn by hovering over a word in an IDE for 20 seconds until it comes up with just enough information for you to have learned nothing - other than RTFM if the name of the object didn’t explain it all. The java development environments do the same and if you have sun and the open source one you've over a gig of information that is faster to retrieve from the internet! But you need it for the IDEs to run even if you wont ever use it.
If you just want to compile some small app its a bit annoying.
Tom te tom te tom