Re: [LUG] Package lists for restore/upgrade

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, tom wrote:

On 11/10/11 07:56, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, tom wrote:

I've one machine that will bust my monthly download limits by itself so I thought a bit of housekeeping might be in order.

Are you still on the a 1GB/Month package?

I've just done a Debian update on my workstation:

  65 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
  Need to get 232 MB of archives.

Most of that appears to be openOffice...

Maybe it's time to upgrade your broadband...

I'm on 6g per month which is more than adequate most of the year.
Upgrading my broadband is not possible - its technically flat out. I have toyed with the idea of taking the proxy server round a friends so it gets updated but hes only 32bit at the mo and of course its the64 bit with all the junk on board,.

Hm. at 1Mb/sec you can transfer up to about 10GB a day. So I imagine you're no-where near flat-out data wise, and have the capability to exceed your limit quite quickly if you try hard enough..

So when I said upgrade, I really meant upgrade the package to give you more GB per month... Not more speed. (I'm just guessing at 1Mb/sec, I recall you saying it was quite slow)

But it all depends on what you want to pay, I guess... I've just suggested my sister in-law move to Plusnet - her budget is under 20 pounds a month, so for that, she can get a 60GB cap at peak time. (8am to midnight) She's currently on Entanet which at 19.95 a month has a 30GB monthly cap... I guess you could see if your current ISP has an off-peak time where it's uncounted and do all the downloads/upgrades then?

I pay slightly more - about 31 a month inc vat plus the cost of the phone line from BT - for a 45GB cap and elevated priorities over the BTW network.

Gordon