Re: [LUG] Package lists for restore/upgrade

On 10/10/11 18:15, tom wrote:

> It seems to use the last accessed flag(???) to date when something was
> last used - seemed to give 'reasonable' results for my machine

Yes it is using the last inode atime (access time) of any file in the
package.

The atime attribute is sometimes disabled (mount option noatime) on file
systems because it causes an inode update for every (or more recently
many) file reads.

http://www.unixtutorial.org/2008/04/atime-ctime-mtime-in-unix-filesystems/

I didn't know popcon used it in the reporting, and I'm doubtful how much
time it'll save over just installing all the same packages.

Of course the other approach is to install what you want, and install
any packages you find missing as you need them.