[LUG] Package lists for restore/upgrade

I've been backing up /home and then manually reloading the packages after re-installing the basic system. I'm about to 'upgrade' a machine from ubu10.10 to 11.04 but I've a few thousand unwanted packages that I dont particularly want to waste time an bandwidth downloading . Is there a way of finding out what’s been used lately so I can just do a fresh install, load the these packages and then restore the /home ?
Tom te tom te tom