Re: [LUG] Package lists for restore/upgrade

On 10/10/11 12:07, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:57:53 +0100
Martin Gautier wrote:

On 10/10/11 09:04, tom wrote:
I've been backing up /home and then manually reloading the packages
after re-installing the basic system.
I'm about to 'upgrade' a machine from ubu10.10 to 11.04 but I've a
few thousand unwanted packages that I dont particularly want to
waste time an bandwidth downloading . Is there a way of finding out
whatâs been used lately so I can just do a fresh install, load the
these packages and then restore the /home ?
Tom te tom te tom

Tom

Try

Backup installed package list on current machine
*dpkg --get-selections>  selections.txt*

move selections.txt to the new machine Set package list on new
machine and install packages
*dpkg --set-selections<  selections.txt
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Regs
Martin
*
This would, however, not allow for the opting-out of installing
packages that are no longer needed.  It would be fine after you'd gone
through and removed the packages you no longer need.

Grant.

I've found that the Ubuntu uses a thing called popularity-contest to monitor package use and produces a text file with date stamps (http://popcon.ubuntu.com/README) so I should be able to analyse that and produce a list in the same format as Martins selections.txt above. et vouloir* a stripped clean fresh install/upgrade!
Tom te tom te tom

*franglais for 'you wish'.