Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Eion MacDonald wrote:

* Example: Recent stopping of service by Sky of a subsidiary email
system lost many people their emails. I had some correspondence on this
from folk who lost their email address and history content.

That'll be ukonline then - an ISP aimed at the residential market... With people using their connectivity ISP for their Email service too... Eggs, basket ...

So you're telling me people were using a residential service for their business email?

If that's the case, then tough. I have no sympathy. If people want business quality email, then then should be prepared to pay for it and keep a local backup. (and pay for this too, if needed!) And keep it independant from their connectivity provider.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who have @aol.com, @yahoo.co.uk, @btinternet.com as their business emails ... It's not that expensive these days to get proper, connectivity independent email services.

And even if you're not a business then it's still not expensive. Free is not expensive at all. (Although google did manage to delete a number of accounts recently, didn't they? Or was that yahoo - ah well, you get what you pay for!)

Gordon