Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:21:39 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

email *must* be downloaded to their personal PC... Then they wonder
why they can't see it elsewhere )-:

If their email client allows it, it's possible to set things up such
that email on a server *isn't* deleted after a POP session.  Claws-Mail
does, for example.  It will even allow you to select the number of
days/hours before deletion occurs.

Sure. That's not an issue and I have clients with > 1GB mailboxes )-:

One issue is that some people simply can't comprehend that their email folders are stored on their desk PC - so when they access their email via brambletabs they wonder why they can't see them.

For a very long time I couldn't work out why some people could Cc: all email they sent back to themselves too - and it was for that reason - so they had a copy of their outgoing email in their inbox!

POP solved a problem 15 years ago when disks were expensive - it should have died 10+ years ago.

Gordon