Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

On 09/03/11 20:52, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 19:17:20 +0000
Grant Sewell<dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Old school, maybe... but not necessarily an inappropriate approach.

Having said that, considering a significant portion of the GNOME Shell
is written in JavaScript, which is arguably a predominantly
web-orientated programming language... maybe the lines between "the
web" and unique, separate applications is diminishing.

I have found that I am increasingly using browser-based tools for many
things, principally because I can have access to them at pretty much
everywhere.

Grant.

Which last point is the reason that I use IMAP for all my emails. No need to use web mail for that.

However, if your webmail platform also uses IMAP (as e.g. Squirrelmail does) then you have the same stuff everywehre ... or to coin a phrase, "everything, everywhere"... Ah, that's already been taken, however..

While I don't use it myself, (I ssh into the server and run alpine), my wife uses squirrelmail while at work, her HTC Desire when out and about and Thunderbird on her Win XP PC at home, and on her (Debian) laptop and seems to have no issues with any of them accessing her personal email account.

The biggest issues I have with a few clients on an older platform (it runs uw-imap and qpopper) is that they access their email with their iBrambles via imap and their desktop using POP which results in mailbox corruption. POP should be outlawed, but some people have this mentality that their email *must* be downloaded to their personal PC... Then they wonder why they can't see it elsewhere )-:

Gordon