[LUG] Email clients for newbies

I have been asking around among friends and family, what do they use their emails for? All said the same, just to keep in touch with friends and family, especially those with relations overseas. None of them were interested in extras like calendars, memos, to do lists etc. They just wanted a simple, easy to use email client. They also wanted to be able to see any HTML emails easily. So, being able to see any pictures in the email, and not needing to click on a URL to open a browser first was important.

So I have been looking at some of the recommended email clients for Linux. Here are some comments.

Evolution. Easy to set up. Too many extras. Keeps asking for a keyring. Weird way of handling deleted emails.The compose font too small. Difficult to understand how to set up an address book.

Kmail. Not so easy to set up. Too many extras. Can't find a way to put sent mails in the desired folder. Keeps asking about kwallet.

Both of those include far to much for a newbie, and confusing requests for passwords each new session.

Sylpheed. Easy to set up. Plenty of choice for layout. But does not deal directly with HTTML. Have to click on the URL each time to open up a browser.

Claws mail. Much like sylpheed, plus does not handle deleted emails properly.

So finally to Thunderbird. This is the only one that I think could be really suitable for someone new to Linux and who just wants a simple way to send and receive mails, to see any pictures in the email (no need to click on a URL) and does not include any unwanted extras.

So, any one that I move over to Linux will definitely be set up with TBird as the email client.

These are just my thoughts on the matter, open for discussion of course. Does anyone want to shoot me down in flames?

I do want to see lots of people move over to Linux. The choice of packages is important. I suspect that some will be looking for a reason to move back to that other system. An email client that seems unnecessarily complicated could be enough.

Comments

Neil