Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> I think what happened to Roland (and thousands of others) is a good
>> example of the unwanted side-effects of education. For years, people
>> have been told that no, viruses do not destroy your files and eat your
>> hard drive;
>
> Try telling that to the victims of the CIH/Chernobl virus who's motherboards
> were bricked...

Not anymore I should have said. (Or 'most viruses' etc.)

>> rather, they do more subtle things such as use your
>> computer to send spam. Now scammers are using this acquired knowledge
>> to make users fall for this kind of scam.
>
> Only because it's more profitable for the scammers now..

Yes. And the vast majority of today's malware (including scams) are
profit-driven.

> I was told at school that nothing I could type at the keyboard could damage
> the computer...

Messages of the "if you do X you will be safe" kind are wrong unless X
is "avoid computers altogether".

Martijn.