Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Martijn Grooten wrote:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Simon Waters wrote:
It is a bit like the phrase "the government should do something about
this", sometimes it is true, other times it just reveals you haven't
pondered the other pressures on government's resources.

Heh, I like that comparison. :)

I think what happened to Roland (and thousands of others) is a good
example of the unwanted side-effects of education. For years, people
have been told that no, viruses do not destroy your files and eat your
hard drive;

Try telling that to the victims of the CIH/Chernobl virus who's motherboards were bricked...

rather, they do more subtle things such as use your
computer to send spam. Now scammers are using this acquired knowledge
to make users fall for this kind of scam.

Only because it's more profitable for the scammers now..

I was told at school that nothing I could type at the keyboard could damage the computer... some years later I was writing programs to control robots and other automation and after watching a robot arm run amok one day made sure that not only the console was out of it's reach, but that I was too...

Gordon "HCF" Henderson