[LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

Hi Folks

I have just had a very amusing phone call - at least I thought so. It
may be difficult to properly convey what happened via email; but I
will try...

I took a phone call from an overseas call centre. I assumed it was a
sales call. The caller asked, by name, for the previous owner of my
house. I advised him that the person he was after no longer lived here
and assumed that would be the end of the call...

Un-perturbed the caller confirmed that the number he had dialled, was
indeed my phone number. He then informed me that my computer had been
spreading some sort of malware/virus out on to the internet.

At this, my ears pricked up and I started to pay more attention. I
again said that the person he was after did not live here any more. He
was getting quite insistent and kept trying to maintain a conversation
which I felt was already over.

Then he said he worked for Microsoft and they had monitored the
activity of my computer and were calling to inform me about the
malware problem.

The thing to stress here, is that this chap had been really very
persistent and annoying. I then, proudly, advised him that there was
no MS products in my house hold.

He asked if i used macs. I said told him that I used linux and his
persistance immediately ceased, he surrendered and cited an incorrect
phone number. hahahahhahaha! I thought this was very funny at the
time. I hope you do too - perhaps it is a "had to be there" situation.
lol.

He *really* did pick on the wrong house hold! hahaha!

Best wishes
roly :-)

PS - I did wonder if this was some form of scam etc...or if it
actually was an MS employee...