Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Pete Hatton <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting "Roland Tarver" <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> He *really* did pick on the wrong house hold! hahaha!
>>
>> Best wishes
>> roly :-)
>>
>> PS - I did wonder if this was some form of scam etc...or if it
>> actually was an MS employee...
>
> Sounds very much like this scam in action.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/28/cold_call_scareware_scam_targets_mac_fanbois/
>
> They are trying to get users to supposedly download software to remove
> viruses. In the end, they try to gain control of your PC, nick your banking
> details...etc.
>
> Pete Hatton

Hmm!...Thankfully it would seem that there was not a linux version of
the software that the chap was no-doubt going to ask me to run. (Or,
why else would he have so suddenly changed tact and ended the
conversation..?)

I am actually now glad I posted this. I was completely un-aware of
this type of scam.

Many thanks

roly :-)