Re: [LUG] Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 & Pinnacle PCTV330e

> Thanks for that Simon, I'll check it out.  I did try w_scan but didn't
> have much luck although I will be upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha in the
> next few days so maybe an updated version of w_scan might work.
>
> Rob

for w-scan
        w_scan -c UK -s S28E2 -f s -X > channels.conf

should generate a standard channels.conf file for the Astra 28.2 East
satellite. If this is the right sat for you you might want to run
another scan for S28E5 which is Eurobird - my dish picks up both. Using
"-x" instead of "-X" should generate a header for using the s-zap
routine (sorry, you're a terrestrial person so doesn't apply. Changing
the -f s to -f t and removing the satellite option should do it).

A useful web page is http://wirbel.htpc-forum.de/w_scan/index_en.html as
is http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/

I can't see the very useful looking w_scan_start.sh anywhere, but it may
show up if compile from source instead of using the ubuntu package.
Though I think it will be wrong type of DVB and output format for you.

I think that all of the "fully featured" distros (no disrespect intended
to anyone's fave distro) will auto install the needed for most sat and
TV cards if detected on distro installation. Don't know about USB
adaptors, but if you are doing a re-install for your upgrade it might be
worth having it plugged in and see what happens.

I've found that my card is set up by ubuntu, mandriva, suse and one or
two others.