Re: [LUG] Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 & Pinnacle PCTV330e

Simon Robert wrote:
if you don't want to use kaffeine  to do your scan for you there is
another app which will do a scan without having to provide it with any
start data called me-tv (produced by an Ozzie). It's a gnome based app,
so good for non kde users.

They, kaffeine and me-tv, probably both work by using an app called
w-scan. I can't remember if this has a gui or not, but it front ends all
the dvb-tv linux apps (szap, tzap etc) and you don't need to provide it
with any info other than what type of scan you want, DVB-T, DVB-S etc,
and what format you want the resulting channels.conf file to be -
kaffeine channels.conf is slightly different from the one you need if
using mplayer or tvtime or VDR or totem for example.

As to installing a USB or PC card device for TV (in my case a skystar 2
satellite card) I'm sorry to admit I'm completely crap at  installing
firmware into the kernel and the like and always when faced with
something of this magnitude reinstall the distro - seems to do the
trick!

Simon
Thanks for that Simon, I'll check it out. I did try w_scan but didn't have much luck although I will be upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha in the next few days so maybe an updated version of w_scan might work.

From my limited experience, at least with this Hauppage adaptor, it's been a case of downloading and unzipping a Windows driver, running a perl script in a terminal and then copying a couple of .fw files into /lib/firmware with sudo. I guess it depends on the distro, I know Ubuntu tends to include firmwares or at least make them available but maybe other distros such as Debian (and maybe others?) might not make them so readily available. I guess in an ideal world these cards would have FLOSS firmware alternatives although I'm not sure which if any adaptors do have FLOSS or free as in freedom firmware available.

Rob