Re: [LUG] Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 & Pinnacle PCTV330e

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 18:29 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
> >
> > Rob Beard wrote:
> >
> >> Steven CÃtà wrote:
> >>

> I have found that Kaffene is rather good at picking up channels,
> although I guess not everyone wants to use Kaffene (for instance I'm
> hoping to eventually build a MythTV backend box when I can find the time
> and bits to do so).
>
> Rob

if you don't want to use kaffeine  to do your scan for you there is
another app which will do a scan without having to provide it with any
start data called me-tv (produced by an Ozzie). It's a gnome based app,
so good for non kde users.

They, kaffeine and me-tv, probably both work by using an app called
w-scan. I can't remember if this has a gui or not, but it front ends all
the dvb-tv linux apps (szap, tzap etc) and you don't need to provide it
with any info other than what type of scan you want, DVB-T, DVB-S etc,
and what format you want the resulting channels.conf file to be -
kaffeine channels.conf is slightly different from the one you need if
using mplayer or tvtime or VDR or totem for example.

As to installing a USB or PC card device for TV (in my case a skystar 2
satellite card) I'm sorry to admit I'm completely crap at  installing
firmware into the kernel and the like and always when faced with
something of this magnitude reinstall the distro - seems to do the
trick!

Simon