Re: [LUG] Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 & Pinnacle PCTV330e

Paul Sutton wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
Steven CÃtà wrote:
    I'll have a bit more of a play next week, I haven't entirely been
    able to get my head round converting the MHz values into something
    that needs to be in the scan file.  What is getting me is the bits
    after the frequency (the bits between the asterisks which should
    appear in bold depending on what mail app you're running)...

    T 521833000 8MHz  *2/3 NONE    QAM64   8k 1/32 NONE*
    T 530167000 8MHz *AUTO AUTO     AUTO AUTO AUTO NONE*

Well, you're probably safe just leaving the AUTO values in, but if you
want to get fancy, you can get the values from the url I provided. In
the southwest, all the transmitters use the same settings since the
digital switch over, so the Beacon Hill scan file should look like the
following:

T 786167000 8MHz 2/3 1/2 QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
T 730167000 8MHz 2/3 1/2 QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
T 642000000 8MHz 2/3 1/2 QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
T 666000000 8MHz 2/3 1/2 QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE
T 714000000 8MHz 2/3 1/2 QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE

I'm not entirely certain what the 8MHz and the Guard Interval (the
1/32 value) really mean, but the rest of it comes from the Beacon Hill
page (http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SX857619).
Great thanks.

I wonder if it might be worth trying to collate the information for the
Devon & Cornwall transmitters (and maybe even the transmitter in
Somerset, Mendip?) on the wiki.  I'm forever searching for information
and can never usually find anything definitive.  We could maybe limit it
to the big transmitters (Beacon Hill, Stockland Hill, Huntshaw Cross,
Caradon Hill, Redruth) or possibly expand it to the other relay
transmitters too (although maybe say that it's not guaranteed that it'll
work unless someone who knows they are on that particular transmitter
can test it?).

Rob

Sounds good, perhaps we can use a page on the lug site to collate it,
then once done decide if we can host it elsewhere.

Perhaps also link to information on getting tv devices working, and
which distributions people have got stuff working well in / by ease of
set up for example.

Paul
Yep well a link to the LinuxDVB wiki might be a start although that can be quite complicated. Saying that I've found that if the adaptors are well supported then chances are plugging them in may just work (although in some cases you may need to download a firmware file for the thing to work). Maybe just a page covering the basics on setting up the different options Freeview over terestrial and Freesat over satellite with corresponding scan files might suffice with links to other resources such as LinuxDVB and MythTV sites maybe.

I have found that Kaffene is rather good at picking up channels, although I guess not everyone wants to use Kaffene (for instance I'm hoping to eventually build a MythTV backend box when I can find the time and bits to do so).

Rob