Re: [LUG] Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 & Pinnacle PCTV330e

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 21:25 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This might be of some use to some of you out there who are looking for
> USB Freeview sticks.
>
> In the past, anyone who had a Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 USB Freeview stick
> or a Pinnacle PCTV330e USB stick found that the device was supported
> well on Windows but would only appear as an analogue capture device on
> Linux.  This was really annoying considering these particular sticks
> aren't cheap (about Â40 compared to about Â15 for a cheapo stick).
>
> There was a driver written for an old kernel which became unsupported
> and out of date, until now.  A guy called Devin Heitmueller has ported
> the driver, fixed some bugs and got it working.  It also just happens
> that he was kind enough to send me an e-mail off list (I posted about
> the stick on the Linux-DVB mailing list) with a link to a blog about the
> driver.
>
> It's not too bad to install, especially for someone confident enough to
> compile from source, instructions are included on the blog.  It sounds
> like the driver will eventually be integrated into the kernel so that in
> future distros, it'll be a case of plugging the stick in and tuning it
> in using <insert favourite DVB app here>.
>
> Anyway, the site is here:  http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1397
>
> If like me too, you try and get Kaffeine to view the channels and you
> get an error message about not having a suitable demuxer, try installing
> libxine1-all-plugins (on Ubuntu and I presume Debian too?).  Under
> Fedora Core (10 at least) it appears you need the
> xine-lib-extras-freeworld package installed.
>
> Hope this helps someone out there.
>
> I'm really chuffed with this, I can NOW get the BBC muxes again, so with
> this stick I can get everything that I can receive on my TV (whereas
> with my K-World DVB-T PCI card I can't get the BBC Muxes).
>
> Now does anyone know how I can convert the list of channels from
> Kaffeine into something mplayer can use?
>
> Rob

w_scan

DVB-T for Czap/Tzap/Xine (United Kingdom)
root@ubuntu:~# w_scan -ft -c GB -X >> channels.conf

 see the w_scan page for a list of different output formats

I just got a USB stick from Novatech Â13 (own brand) which also works
fine now on the BBC mux's using Mint and kaffeine.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Po House, Minions,