Re: [LUG] Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 & Pinnacle PCTV330e

kevin wrote:
On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 21:25 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

This might be of some use to some of you out there who are looking for USB Freeview sticks.

In the past, anyone who had a Hauppage WinTV HVR-900 USB Freeview stick or a Pinnacle PCTV330e USB stick found that the device was supported well on Windows but would only appear as an analogue capture device on Linux. This was really annoying considering these particular sticks aren't cheap (about Â40 compared to about Â15 for a cheapo stick).

There was a driver written for an old kernel which became unsupported and out of date, until now. A guy called Devin Heitmueller has ported the driver, fixed some bugs and got it working. It also just happens that he was kind enough to send me an e-mail off list (I posted about the stick on the Linux-DVB mailing list) with a link to a blog about the driver.

It's not too bad to install, especially for someone confident enough to compile from source, instructions are included on the blog. It sounds like the driver will eventually be integrated into the kernel so that in future distros, it'll be a case of plugging the stick in and tuning it in using <insert favourite DVB app here>.

Anyway, the site is here:  http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1397

If like me too, you try and get Kaffeine to view the channels and you get an error message about not having a suitable demuxer, try installing libxine1-all-plugins (on Ubuntu and I presume Debian too?). Under Fedora Core (10 at least) it appears you need the xine-lib-extras-freeworld package installed.

Hope this helps someone out there.

I'm really chuffed with this, I can NOW get the BBC muxes again, so with this stick I can get everything that I can receive on my TV (whereas with my K-World DVB-T PCI card I can't get the BBC Muxes).

Now does anyone know how I can convert the list of channels from Kaffeine into something mplayer can use?

Rob

w_scan
DVB-T for Czap/Tzap/Xine (United Kingdom)
root@ubuntu:~# w_scan -ft -c GB -X >> channels.conf

 see the w_scan page for a list of different output formats

I tried that but it came up with an error about a DVB 5.1 API not being supported. I think I've managed to sort it though, I copied all the uk-* scan files into one big file and ran that through DVB Scan, it's found over 1,000 services. Looks like I'll be digging out the channels tomorrow.
I just got a USB stick from Novatech Â13 (own brand) which also works
fine now on the BBC mux's using Mint and kaffeine.
I'm thinking of getting something like that, I'll keep the PCI card as an extra tuner for the commercial muxes and just get a couple of USB sticks too.

Rob