Re: [LUG] OT - placebos

Logically it is not possible to make that assertion. Bias is
unavoidable in any individual assessment where the individual KNOWS
what has changed from situation A to situation B. This effect cannot be
dismissed, it is always present. You can no more avoid the placebo
effect than you can avoid gravity. Bias can be balanced and the overall
effect compensated by using a double-blind but (as a scientist and
having scrutinised large numbers of trials and junk science) if you
stand your ground based on the placebo effect, your judgement is in
error and your feet are on quicksand.

Placebo is just another name for operator bias. Bias occurs whenever
anyone involved in making the judgement have any knowledge of what has
changed between the various times at which a judgement is made. Bias is
unavoidable; you can only compensate for it, never avoid it.
So, at the end of the day we are all in a dreamy state where any type of upgrade is the placebo effect,, a new 24" wide screen lcd monitor isnt really any better than a 15" crt.

in my system then (vinyl) i had a stylus that cost me £15.00 (a lot
> then) vms15e mk11, and was going to upgrade so went round a mates
> house and offered it to him, he was dubious, so said i would fit it
> and if he didn't find any difference i would have it back,,i also
> said i prolly wouldn't notice but he would, well, again he was blown
> away and i was also,,,,, no placebo there either.
Rubbish - you both knew the nature of the changes, the placebo effect
had a significant effect upon both judgements.

heheh, would agree if it was a situation where he wanted the stylus,, but he didn't, so im afraid you are the one speaking rubbish (scientist or not).your reasoning is a little bit like my oldest lads, he has a degree in chemistry.

when you have
> listened to a system for years then make an upgrade change there are
> bound to be differences you will notice good or bad
Science has proved again and again that if the judgement is made with
knowledge of when the change was made, the judgement will reinforce the
beliefs of those making the judgement with a statistically significant
effect.

Double-blind randomised trials are the only rigorous method of
compensating for the ever present placebo effect, no amount of bluff
and blustering will change the reality.
blimey, im glad you don't work for me with such shuttered vision when a given upgrade is so blindingly obvious.

I saw them in 1974? DSOM and it was the most amazing sound ever (qtips were close) and heard it on the radio a couple of weeks later - dire! Its amazing what wanting to hear something as good can do for the experience! Tom te tom te tom
god ! your all nuts,, how can you compare a live show to something you hear on the radio ! (prolly not even vhf in those days)

You can put headphones on upside down?

-(O_o)-

well, that band is meant to go under the chin isnt it ?

There has been a number of serious scientific papers questioning the
size, relevance, and even existence of the placebo effect. One
meta-analysis of placebo controlled trials which also included an
untreated groups, showed no statistically significant improvement for
non-subjective outcomes (i.e. People on placebos claimed they felt
better, but when symptoms were objectively compared with the untreated
group there was no observable difference). So whilst I'm fairly
confident in the placebo effect being real, it isn't necessarily what
explains many of the results of medical treatments effective or
otherwise. It is also sloppy terminology to use it as a catch-all for
the other effects.
thank you Simon,,

I would have loved to have seen Pink Floyd live, unfortunately by the time I was introduced to them they had just finished their Pulse concert so I was a bit too late. Still I have spent the years since getting to know some of their other stuff and I do like to put some of their stuff on occasionally when the wife and kids are out :-)

Rob
the pulse dvd is pretty good even though a bit dated.
No doubt sugar pills would work on me, since they're like alcohol.
> Strangely real alcohol doesn't do anything to me.

You're immune to alcohol?
i am too, only trouble is that i seem to keep getting bad cans of lager that give me a head ache, usually the last can funnily enough.

bas.