Re: [LUG] OT-Chips and how everything is more expensive these days - Optical Mice - Christmas Stocking Fillers

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 03:19:56PM +0000, bas wrote:

> > Then you have better hearing than I do.
> or playing the file on a much better quality system.
>
> > Actually no. Just because you think you can hear the difference doesn't
> > mean there's a difference, that's the point of a double-blind trial. If
> > you can't tell the difference between the cheap system and the expensive
> > one _when you don't know which is which_ then you've been conned.  :)
> its not a matter of "thinking" you can hear the difference,, i can on my
> system, and the effect was stunning after the upgrade.

Of course it is. The placebo effect applies to more than just medicine.
Without a proper trial, you've no way of knowing whether it actually is
better or you just think it is. (It's perfectly possible that you're
right. It's also possible that you're wrong. Just listening to it isn't
enough.)

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx || gpg: 0x166891C7
If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to