Re: [LUG] OT - placebos

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 08:48:24PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> The article also raises the doctor/patient relationship issue. How would
> you react if you discovered your doctor was palming you off with sugar
> pills? Would you doubt any future pills?
>
> Cost is one question, but also does the provider of said remedies push
> some nonsensical ideas with it, and will folks come back to those ideas
> when they have something else or something more serious wrong with them?
> The case of Thomas Sam springs to mind, a result of creating a culture
> based on ineffective remedies and opposing scientific medicine.

I think the situation is worse.

1/ Placebo's work in some cases.
2/ One factor is making in making placebos work appears to be belief
that it will work
3/ One factor that makes people believe that something is effective is
if it is a) is sold by a professional, b) expensive (eg see Veblen
goods) or eg http://theglitteringeye.com/?p=9315

Question

Should a well trained professional offer something that should not work,
if in a minority of cases it will; especially if the diagnosis of the
illness takes time and resources that are in short supply and may well
result in another person not receiving treatment that will work?

> A corollary of the "it is rare..." sentiment, is that many drug trials
> are now against the current drug of choice for a disorder, rather than
> against a placebo. Since it doesn't matter if a treatment works if it
> doesn't offer any benefits over existing treatments.

From a logical point of view this makes a lot of sense and is followed
or driven by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical
Excellence). I believe their remit is to effectively rank treatments by
cost-effectiveness per quality adjusted life year.

IF however you are ill (eg terminal cancer), and there is nothing that
will improve your health; how much would you pay for a placebo wrapped
up in scientific language? And finally should someone be allowed to sell
you a placebo that might work but has no proven ability to work?

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.