Re: [LUG] OT - placebos

Henry Bremridge wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/homeopathy.shtml

"To Randi's relief, the experiment was a total failure. The scientists
were no better at deciding which samples were homeopathic than pure
chance would have been."

Just a hunch, but I'd think Randi would be delighted to see someone win
the million dollar challenge. And lets face it Randi's health isn't
exactly good at the moment so he doesn't have long to see any potential
winners prove their case.

Given the money mostly isn't his, and is tied up in a prize fund account
at Goldman Sachs. And if he wasn't interested in the supernatural, or
fringes of science, he wouldn't be involved in all this stuff, it would
be natural that he'd want to see a winner.

Random rant follows.... feel free to ignore

One thing that does annoy me is emphasis on the placebo effect when many
folks discuss fringe medical treatments. Whilst there is some evidence
for the placebo effect (improvement caused by believing you are being
effectively treated), a lot of the protocols used for clinical trials
are there to prevent problems with other confounding factors such as
natural progression (for many medical conditions people get better with
time), or patients giving doctors the results they believe the doctor wants.

One of my friends insists on telling me that homeopathy can't be a
placebo effect if it works on animals or babies, and indeed if there
were evidence that it did work on animals or babies, rather than just
being perceived to work, I'd have to agree.

There has been a number of serious scientific papers questioning the
size, relevance, and even existence of the placebo effect. One
meta-analysis of placebo controlled trials which also included an
untreated groups, showed no statistically significant improvement for
non-subjective outcomes (i.e. People on placebos claimed they felt
better, but when symptoms were objectively compared with the untreated
group there was no observable difference). So whilst I'm fairly
confident in the placebo effect being real, it isn't necessarily what
explains many of the results of medical treatments effective or
otherwise. It is also sloppy terminology to use it as a catch-all for
the other effects.