Re: [LUG] OT - placebos

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:14:03PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> >
> One thing that does annoy me is emphasis on the placebo effect when many
> folks discuss fringe medical treatments. Whilst there is some evidence
> for the placebo effect (improvement caused by believing you are being
> effectively treated), a lot of the protocols used for clinical trials
> are there to prevent problems with other confounding factors such as
> natural progression (for many medical conditions people get better with
> time), or patients giving doctors the results they believe the doctor wants.
>
> One of my friends insists on telling me that homeopathy can't be a
> placebo effect if it works on animals or babies, and indeed if there
> were evidence that it did work on animals or babies, rather than just
> being perceived to work, I'd have to agree.
>
> There has been a number of serious scientific papers questioning the
> size, relevance, and even existence of the placebo effect. One
> meta-analysis of placebo controlled trials which also included an
> untreated groups, showed no statistically significant improvement for
> non-subjective outcomes (i.e. People on placebos claimed they felt
> better, but when symptoms were objectively compared with the untreated
> group there was no observable difference). So whilst I'm fairly
> confident in the placebo effect being real, it isn't necessarily what
> explains many of the results of medical treatments effective or
> otherwise. It is also sloppy terminology to use it as a catch-all for
> the other effects.

When I read that wikipedia article, I thought it raised a valid
question: if even some patients get better taking something that cannot do them
harm, is that a problem? (How much they pay for this is separate)

Your point re catch-all for other effects, noted. Yes, was just getting
irritated at snake-oil salesmen in general.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.