Re: [LUG] WhatPC time again

Kai Hendry wrote:

> HP machines all to one specification.  HP or Lenovo can sell a certain
> spec for I estimate a good year (and often maintain a back catalogue for
> support for much longer). You simply can't do this with this component
> model. They can scale and maintain quality.  You can't.

I think you are too pessimistic in some ways, I've had DELL machines
with sequential serial numbers, and different bugs due to chipset
changes. Most of those changes don't hurt you, indeed many are only
noticed when they do.

But I agree it will only compete if there is some "pooling" of the
process going on in the background, so that one can learn from others
mistakes.

Do remember the big providers also do "weird stuff", such as all the
DELL ROMB and such like, which must be hugely expensive to do, and
generally makes the boxes less reliable (even for the operating systems
the manufacturers claim to support).

And the really reliable hardware still carries the kind of premiums that
got Microsoft into the small business server market in the first place.
It isn't a market the self builds are competing in (yet?).