Re: [LUG] WhatPC time again

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 10:10, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > If you have yourself organised (large desk space, tools etc) it takes
> > about 15 minutes to put a machine together, and you can leave it
> > installing while building another, which, if you build lots of identical
> > machines will be quicker - I have often found opening the boxes/bags to
> > be the limiting factor. So thats a £200PH saving....
>
> But the components arrive in boxes?
I think you'll find the PC's come in boxes too.
If you buy the bits for a lot of PC's in one go the opening boxes problem
tends to reduce - all your ram comes in one box, your drives in another etc
so it quickly comes down to near opening pc boxes level -and you don't have
the problems typing in massive license keys with linux - though there are a
few companies that will build and install for you.

> The problem with these things is quality control, isn't it.  The line,
> and the quality control engineer and so on seem to make a difference.
In my experience putting 10 or so machines together at one go they  tend to
work  first time, QC being a case of whether  it works or not - if not check
the leads and pop the ram in and out and go again.

> Still, building machines is an occasionally entertaining thing.
Theres those little scratches that an be got no other way....
Tom te tom te tom