Re: [LUG] WhatPC time again

On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:35, Neil Stone wrote:

> Support from Dell is also (99 times out of 100) bloody wonderful. Gold
> suport on a server.. engineer there in under 4 hours anywhere in the
> world... with the parts for your server...
A few years ago I would have said it was the reverse (I've not touched them
since) - support seemed to consist of man coming to investigate fault -
within the contracted time - diagnosing what we knew, getting components
delivered and then returning a day or so later to fit them - when we could
have done all that. After much complaining they let us fit the parts so we
were basically doing their job for them.
The support was about passable I suppose but for the price you pay Dell up
front for the machines you wouldn't expect to have to need pay for support as
well. We found we could provide a much better service by buying cheaper
machines and spending some of the money we saved on having redundant machines
which meant if a machine went down we could be 'restoring' its replacement
immediately rather than having a machine out for a day or two.
I have often wanted to get properly into linux clustering to see if you really
can replace servers with two or three machines and hot swap replacements -
sounds lovely...
Tom te tom te tom