[LUG] WhatPC time again

With Vista looming I was thinking perhaps it is a good time to buy a PC.

I have the monitor, keyboard etc.

My requirements are:

* Must be *quiet* (most important)
* Do not want to pay for WinXP license
* Do not require a CD-ROM (though it helps for installation)
* I want Ubuntu on it with *3D acceleration* working for Google Earth
* My budget is 300 GBP max
* Reliable and not power hungry as I will never turn it off

I looked at barebones machines here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesBarebones

Though I can't find any of them on Insight/Dabs. And I prefer HP or
Lenovo type brand.

This HP proliant seems on a clearance special:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4CMK

Though does it work?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesDesktopsHp
It's not listed ...

And 3D acceleration? I have no idea.

I am not keen about AMD64 options either. For example, is there a
Macromedia Flash version for the AMD64 now? What is the future of that
chip?

Any other recommendations?