Re: [LUG] WhatPC time again

On 2007-01-24T13:06+0000 james kilty wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 12:54 +0000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > All Dell machines. *shiver*
> My wife's charity uses Dell and I was given a laptop for my birthday.
> What should I know?

I'm probably just being a snob. :) Because if you compare a X series
Thinkpad to a Dell machine, the Dell machine comes off badly.

In my experience Dell machines aren't that good. Also buying from them
isn't a fun experience. They alter their prices a lot and you have to
deal with silly telesales people sooner than later.

I must admit IBM/Lenovo are worse than what they used to be. They're
easily on the same level now. In fact Lenovo is probably worse. I was
unable to buy a warranty extension on my laptop after honestly trying
for a couple of days. Poor website, *terrible* telephone sales. Though
server hardware I think is still maintained by IBM. So it's still the
best stuff IMO.