Re: [LUG] WhatPC time again

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:35:47 +0000
Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My requirements are:
>
> * Must be *quiet* (most important)

Choose your PSU on that basis. Personally, noise isn't that much of a
problem so I went for a bog-standard PSU.

> * Do not want to pay for WinXP license

Easiest way there is to buy a separate motherboard/CPU and build the
system from there.

> * I want Ubuntu on it with *3D acceleration* working for Google Earth

No idea. ;-) Ubuntu ain't my thaing.

> * My budget is 300 GBP max

Depends how much of this box needs to be new equipment and how much can
be recycled. There are lots of machines around gathering dust - many
just need a better m'board or larger RAM/hard drive. Many people on
this list will have a variety of cases, components and half-built PC's
lying around that are simply looking for a new home. A bit more RAM, a
larger hard drive, maybe a different PSU and it's job done.

> * Reliable and not power hungry as I will never turn it off

Got a UPS too? You can't rely on the National Grid nowadays.

> I looked at barebones machines here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesBarebones
>
> Though I can't find any of them on Insight/Dabs. And I prefer HP or
> Lenovo type brand.

Don't fancy building the machine yourself? There are people in DCGLUG
who would be able to build a box for you for the cost of a pint, if you
can arrange delivery of the components.

> I am not keen about AMD64 options either.

Nothing wrong with amd64. It's just another architecture, it makes no
odds what architecture you are using when you stick to free software.
It's only proprietary rubbish that flounders. Get the source code and
it'll work on amd64 (and alpha, powerpc, sparc etc.).

> For example, is there a
> Macromedia Flash version for the AMD64 now?

Why care ? If a website doesn't work with free software versions of
Flash, I simply go to a different site. Sorry. ;-)

> What is the future of that
> chip?

The future is fine, AFAICT, who cares? Free software will continue to
support it.

> Any other recommendations?

The best way to control things like noise output and graphics is to
specify each component yourself - PC's are not hard to build. It takes
longer to choose the components than to actually build it.

--

Neil Williams