Re: [LUG] WhatPC time again

I tell you why it doesn't scale. I have more experience than most with
building machines, because that is what I did in my first IT jobs in
West Sussex and CH Solutions near Bodmin. :)

For example at CH Solutions we built machines of certain specification
for our customers. Not home users, businesses. So we agreed 'spec 3'
would be this and that component and be done with that.

Problem is that we couldn't get the same part always. So the life span
of a certain spec was typically as little as three months! Or if you're
really unlucky, you'll get the component with the same model number and
everything, but the manufacturer changes the chipset. Oh, this happens
with the even the best components. Trust me. And guess what? Your spec
image starts to crash for some unknown reason or something or other
because the machine changed.

Now I have recently had the sweet joy for working for bigger companies.
Machines have got to be to a standard, machines must have a high
quality.  Building your own machines and maintaining your own unique
configuration for umpteen different machines (as you scale) is something
you really do not want to waste time on.  Hence you shoot for Lenovo or
HP machines all to one specification.  HP or Lenovo can sell a certain
spec for I estimate a good year (and often maintain a back catalogue for
support for much longer). You simply can't do this with this component
model. They can scale and maintain quality.  You can't.

Incidentally I visited Google offices a couple of weeks ago in Hamburg.
All Dell machines. *shiver*

Conclusion: Putting a list of components that work together, will be
worthwhile hopefully for about 3 months.