Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

James Fidell wrote:

> If it's really that good, why did people start moving away from
> mainframes?

First, the flight from mainframes is generally overstated.

The mainframe computer market was growing a long time after the reported
death of mainframes, so you have to see the explosion in personal
computers as alongside mainframes for the majority of the period.

Second you have to look at what that market was like, mainframes were
expensive, stunningly so. I know companies that replaced "mainframes"
with "midrange" Unix server that had as much power as the old
"mainframe" and better software for the price of their mainframe
maintanence budget. Perhaps the better question is how were mainframes
sold at all given the huge price tags they carried in the 1990's, the
answer I suspect was backward compatibility, and the huge costs of
replacing established systems.

To an extent the same problem you see now with Windows, everyone (well
most outside Microsoft) agrees the DOS/Windows operating systems are a
mess of trying to hack multiuser stuff onto an outdated system, but
everyone is committed to business processes involving specific Windows
software.

That is why one local firm failed to replace their aging mainframe
systems at least three times (well that and some doubtful management,
but then management had never HAD to replace the mainframe before).

Interestingly this sort of lockin is what the "open systems" people were
touting their wares as a way of avoiding. And those that went that way
can probably still point to a selection of suppliers in their hardware
and software market (including GNU/Linux these days).

When people talk about "mainframes" they don't usually mean SUN, HP and
Oracle, they mean IBM, ICL, DB2, BMC and CA. HP, SUN and Oracle are
largely what replaced the mainframes.

For most businesses I suspect the whole desktop computing thing was a
big mistake. The success was down to "open hardware" specs that led to
cheap commodity hardware, and hence a thriving market in software. I
suspect if businesses could have got that variety of software some other
way, it would never have happened. Yes we got VHS solution, not the
best, but the economics and timing conspired to make it happen that way.